Help us keep our doors open throughout the year!
Do you want to help build a world where everyone feels part of a community? Can you get people engaged and enthused about your passion for gardening and DIY? We’re seeking someone to bring their practical skills, knowledge and positive values to help ensure that our weekly Shed workshops and Green Team sessions can continue throughout the year, ‘rain or shine’. We need ad hoc sessional cover to ensure a continuation of service for these popular and well-established weekly sessions.
What we do:
At Time & Talents, we bring people together for fun, friendship, and mutual support, to create a world where everyone feels part of a community. We work with people of all ages in a lively, creative and supportive centre, running activity programmes for children and families, older people and adults, and offer additional support to those with physical and mental health issues in accessing our programmes. Last year, we worked with around 5000 people of all ages in the wider community, from two unique venues in north Southwark – in Rotherhithe and Canada Water (SE16).
What you’ll get:
We will pay you our sessional/tutor rate of £25 per hour for the 3-4 hour sessions that you cover. It’s also an ideal opportunity to meet people and get to know more about how a community centre works. There are projects throughout the year that will require an extra pair of hands, plus holiday cover for our two existing facilitators. You may also be asked to help out with the wide range of seasonal workshops and events that Time & Talents are involved in, such as the Rotherhithe Festival, Bermondsey Carnival, Illuminate Rotherhithe, the British Museum Inspired by the East Exhibition, plus many more…
You’ll have a wealth of DIY and gardening skills and feel comfortable guiding beginners in how to use tools and complete practical tasks. You will have an easy-going and friendly manner, able to put people at ease using only your tea-making ability and chat!
We’re looking for people who:
- Have a good knowledge of DIY and gardening
- Are flexible and available to step into cover work at short notice
- Can instruct and guide others in a gentle, supportive and encouraging manner
- Are highly trustworthy and reliable
- Are friendly, outgoing and helpful
- Co-facilitate the Green Team and Rotherhithe Shed sessions when needed.
- Ensure a friendly and safe environment is fostered during each session.
- Ensure attendance figures and essential monitoring information is captured and feedback to the Health and Wellbeing Programme Manager
- Assist with additional small-scale building and construction projects taken on by Time & Talents as needed
- Raise any urgent issues to the Health and Wellbeing Programme Manager / Director as appropriate
Payment: You will be paid our sessional/tutor rate of £25 per hour when covering the Shed or Green Team. There will also be opportunities (if desired) for assisting at other projects. This will be paid at the London Living Wage (£10.55 per hour).
To apply: You can apply online through Charity Job, via letter or in person. Please write a cover letter telling us why you would like to join the Time & Talents team. Include your CV and send this to us via the application link or by post/hand to The Old Mortuary, St Marychurch Street, Rotherhithe, SE16 4JE. Alternatively, pop in for an initial chat and we will give you an application form.
The closing date is 31st October but please apply ASAP as we’ll be reviewing applications on a rolling basis.