Can you help us by sponsoring Haji, one of our marathon runners for 2018?
Haji is a local boy, and has lived in the area for many years. He’s been a volunteer for T&T for many years – and his wife for even longer! He’s been a Cycling Without Age volunteer, a Green Team gardener, and helped out our groups for isolated older people. Now, as an experienced runner, like many other talented people he’s running for T&T. Help him to help SE16 by sponsoring his run in 2018!
Lots of people are running for T&T and they are all amazing! Know someone else running for T&T? Find them here!
To find out how your money makes a difference, keep reading….
Loneliness is a killer for older people.
Support our runners, and make their lives worth living.
We give over 250 older people a year friendship, support, and somewhere they belong.
Since the very beginning of the London Marathon, Time & Talents has had ‘Golden Tickets’ offering guaranteed places in the race.
Why support our runners?
Did you know loneliness makes you up to 30% more likely to die prematurely? And that there are over 2500 lonely older people in Southwark alone?
T&T is a genuinely local charity – and we’ve been helping isolated older people for 130 years. With your help, we can do much more.
What we do to help lonely older people
- Our befriending service brings housebound older people support from volunteers who want to make a difference – a chat, a cup of tea, and a real friend who cares
- Our groups for older people always offer something out of the ordinary – from a mobile zoo, to a music hall visit, to a movie or a singalong, with lunch. They provide a way to feel independent and carefree, and give older people lots of much needed care and attention.
- Our Stroke club, Visually Impaired Group, Social Contact group, and strength and balance clubs offer specialist support for the people who most need our help – changing lives and helping them cope every single week.
- Fun and quirky T&T projects, from the Rotherhithe Shed, to a pub club for older men, to intergenerational reindeer sleigh rides and Cycling Without Age, or Crafty Beasts, mean that there’s always something new. This is vital for those who experience little joy, or fun, or newness in their lives because they are very isolated.
What your fundraising could pay for:
- A day a week for a whole year of minibus transport, bringing frail disabled elderly people to a place they can have lunch with friends – and otherwise would see no-one for days at a time
- 15 weekly cycling sessions with our Cycling Without Age pilots in the local parks for those in care homes – when some have not been in a green space for years
- 10 of our regular ‘Pub Clubs’ for isolated older men, many of whom have retreated from their community since their partner passed away
- 4 older people to receive fully a supported befriending service for a whole year, and one to one practical emotional support to ‘get back on their feet’ after illness, bereavement, or accident
- 30 people to attend one of our strength and balance classes for older people who have fallen and need to get their strength and confidence back – for the six months they need to become independent again
What We Offer Runners
- Guaranteed Gold Bond places
- Quality fundraising and training advice
- Your own web page
- A team running vest
- A pit stop on marathon day, with people to cheer you on as you pass T&T!
- Be part of the T&T Family – events, support, community
All you have to do to run for us is agree to raise at least £1500 in sponsorship for Time & Talents. This money really makes a difference in helping us to work with the communities here in Rotherhithe and Bermondsey, and every year our marathon runners are amongst our top fundraisers – and many have stayed dedicated friends of the charity for years.
So come on, get on your sweatband and let’s start a montage! As ever, we’re relying on you to help us keep helping our community!
A big thanks to ALL our Marathon Runners in 2016 and 17!!!
Running in 2019
We’ll be open for applications for 2019 shortly after the 2018 marathon.
To find out more, drop Alyson a line at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us on 020 7231 7845.APPLY FOR 2019!