Time & Talents is a local charity based in Rotherhithe and Bermondsey dedicated to creating a place where everyone feels part of a community. We bring people together for mutual support, fun and friendship through a range of services and activities that address social isolation, increase mental & physical wellbeing, and reduce divisions across the community.
We were set up in 1887 by ‘women of education and leisure’ who were concerned about the huge gap between rich and poor, and growing disadvantage in the local docks as a consequence of rapid industrialisation. They started, of course, in a time before the NHS and the welfare state. Members of the Settlement Movement, of which T&T remains a key member, went on to be the architects of social work and the welfare state. 130 years later, as we see a social system increasingly under strain, we feel that our long experience and model of mutual support is more important than ever.
We see a core part of our work as providing ways for people to connect and share their time and talents, including a wide range of volunteering opportunities, skills-sharing, and opportunities to socialise and connect neighbours close and far to reduce isolation.
Why not pop in to T&T? There’s so much to get involved in!
- A wide range of community parties, events, and celebrations – because they’re the best way to bring communities together and build supportive relationships
- Free fun for children and families – bringing together grown-ups as well as kids
- Our intergenerational craft group, Crafty Beasts
- Formal/informal learning opportunities, especially around practical skills like gardening, crafts, ukulele and mindfulness
- A range of hosted activities including yoga, Rotherhithe & Bermondsey Local History Society, Rotherhithe & Bermondsey Choral Society
For 55’s and over
We have lots of support and social opportunities for older people, and a range of groups to increase social connections and build new friendships.
- Happy Monday Group – a social group for over 60s
- Social Contact Group – for older women with mental health needs
- Stroke Club, for people recovering from a stroke, and their carers
- Visually Impaired Club, for people who have experienced loss of sight
- The Rotherhithe Shed, where you can tinker, make and mend in a real workshop
- Pub Club, a non-nonsense social group for men 55+ running in local pubs
- Friday Social, a 60+ club for people who aren’t old! Meet like-minded people and get out and about
Kids and Families
T&T has worked with kids and their families for nearly 130 years – and we have more than ever happening! Across our two venues, The Old Mortuary and T&T2 in Surrey Quays Shopping Centre, we have a wide range of super fun activities for kids of all ages, and all of the activities are FREE.
Click here for more info
Please email email@example.com if you would like to be added to our Kids and Families Mailing list for regular updates.